March 3, 2010

The 10:45 epiphany

When you gifted me my first wrap-around, did you imagine I'd hold it dear even after five years of not having a word from you. So dear, in fact that I could not find an occasion worthy enough to wear it all this time.

I lugged it around with me where ever I went in search of that perfect occasion - relatives' homes where I stayed for vacations(the skirt packed neatly in the suitcase, glittering occasionally with memory), days spent abroad(where it languished under other clothes - useful winter clothes), from my home to my husband's home to another city (bundled among all the other clothes I could not bear to let go).

I hunted for the right top to go with it. Searched from Khan Market to Sarojini Nagar and finally found the cloth I liked in a seedy Punjabi Bagh shop. I scoured Delhi for the right tailor to stitch me something of it to match the skirt. I left the skirt with him for that time.

Fnally, I wore the skirt (which is always 'your gift', 'a precious memory of an afternoon with silver candles' in my mind) for a concert of French music. Perfect to go with the celebrated language of love in melodious song. I'd finally found the occasion. Yesterday.

And I also found that

it is too long for me, it catches my toes in its embroidered threads. I tripped twice, tied it up high on my waist to resume some semblance of walking and missed enjoying my post-concert ice-cream as much as I could have because I had to keep an eye on all the threads that tangled with my toes with every forward step.

*

So much for preserved and unused memories.

1 comment:

  1. so are you suggesting that we stop preserving memories

    or

    those warm and fuzzy memories of times bygone are actually pretty cold and rough

    or

    memories are mere figments fabricated to cover up the not-so-romantic reality

    OR

    it doesnt matter if the skirt didnt fit, nothing in life actually does :P the trick is to find happiness in imperfection

    PS what did the protagonist do with the skirt after concert ?

    ReplyDelete