March 25, 2008

In The Beginning

The Matter:

I’ve been looking for you
ever since I learned to remember things;
its been a while since we met.

An easy smile
separated bristly cheeks,
he slid a hand forward:
a calm handshake.

But we’ve just met.
I don’t know you.

An abrupt curl fell
over startled coal eyes.
Hair curled tenderly around the wrist that
politely flicked the truant curl away.

Ummm…

The silence bristled;
weight of unspoken words
seething an undulating street.

The Moment:

Pulsating with the buzz
of roadside vendors,
the street blazed in the heat.
The tangy gol-gappa syrup
tingled her fingers.

A group of girls
scattered around the vendor
in a crude semi- circle giggled;
looking him up and down.

Dense pink lips murmured:
When shall we meet again?

A cheek dimpled,
giving way to a syrupy smile.

We’re coming to have gol-gappas
day after too methinks.

Another burst of giggles:
this time incredulous.

Perspective:

In the distance her friends
shook heads
mouthing muggy lessons of
caution: a propos too many gol-gappas
and strange men.

No comments:

Post a Comment